Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
Time: 35 min, 8 Servings
- 2 pounds white or red potatoes*
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 pieces bacon, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dice potatoes into bite-size pieces. Place in a large pot with water and boil potatoes for 12 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain potatoes.
- While potatoes cook, place bacon in a large skillet and cook until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and crumble once cool.
- In a large bowl, add drained potatoes, melted butter, and seasonings, and stir.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for 5 minutes, then stir in sour cream, cheese, and bacon, reserving ½ cup each of cheese and bacon for the topping.
- Pour potato mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the top of the potatoes with additional half cup cheddar cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with extra bacon. Garnish with green onions or parsley if desired.
*This recipe calls for thin-skinned potatoes; if using Russets, peel before cooking.