Southern Collard Greens
By Terrie Lewis | September 24, 2022
Prep 10 mins, Cook 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon from the pan, crumble, and return to the pan.
- Add onion to the pan and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant, 1-2 min. Add collard greens, and quick fry until they start to wilt.
- Pour in chicken broth and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until greens are tender, about 45-50 minutes.