15 BEAN SOUP® Slow Cooker Recipe
Prep: 10 min.
Slow Cook: 5 hrs 30 min
- 1 pkg HamBeens® 15 BEAN SOUP®
- 8 cups water (use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth for added flavor)
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, ground sausage (browned in pan), ham hocks or diced ham. Our favorite is to use a leftover hambone with some meat on it.
- 1 lg. onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Optional: Hot sauce or crushed red pepper
NO SOAK METHOD
- In a colander or sieve, rinse beans thoroughly. Sort and inspect for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Drain and pour beans in a slow cooker with 8 cups of stock/water, onions, garlic, and meat or hambone. (Not tomato or lemon juice yet!). Use 9-10 cups of liquid if you like a more “brothy” soup.
- Stir to combine. Set slow cooker on high and cook for 5-7 hours then check to make sure beans are tender. The soup can continue to simmer for several hours and will develop more flavor over time.
- After the beans are tender, remove the hambone (leave any ham in the pot), stir in the can of diced tomatoes, our Ham Flavor packet, optional chili powder, and the lemon juice.
- Cook for additional 30 minutes then keep warm until ready to serve.
- We recommend to serve with a freshly baked slice of corn bread! You can also serve over rice as well.
Please keep in mind that every time the lid is opened, your cooking time will be longer.
For even more flavor, substitute beef, chicken or vegetable stock instead of water.
You can also try 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or 1 lb. beef roast, then shred meat before Step 5 above.