30 min Prep – 12 hr 40 min Total
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fast-acting dry yeast
- 3 1/4 cups warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 4 1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In small bowl, mix 1/4 teaspoon of the yeast and 1 cup of the warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. In large bowl, stir 1 teaspoon of the yeast-water mixture (discard remaining yeast-water mixture) and 3/4 cup of the water to combine. Add 2 1/4 cups of the flour, and stir with wooden spoon until stiff dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave at room temperature 8 to 12 hours.
- In large bowl, mix 2 1/4 cups of the flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons of the yeast and the salt with whisk to combine. Add 1 1/2 cups of the warm water, and stir to combine. Add to stiff dough, and stir with wooden spoon to combine. Dough will be sticky.
- Transfer dough to well-floured surface, and sprinkle top with more flour. Gently knead 1 minute, using dough scraper if needed. Lightly spray clean large bowl with cooking spray. Transfer dough to bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; let rise at room temperature about 3 hours or until doubled.
- Transfer dough to well-floured surface; fold over three times like a letter. Divide dough into 12 even pieces. Generously sprinkle clean kitchen towel with flour; transfer dough pieces to towel. Cover with another clean kitchen towel, and let rise 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle cookie sheets lightly with cornmeal. Transfer rolls to cookie sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until baked through and golden brown, switching sheets to opposite racks halfway through bake time. Transfer rolls to cooling rack to cool completely.