Crawfish, Corn & Potato Soup
Prep: 15 min, Cook 30 min
4 to 5 Servings
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 Med or 1 large russet potato, peeled and small diced
- 2-3 cups chicken or seafood broth (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- ¼ teaspoon powdered crab boil (cajun seasoning can be substituted)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (14.25-15.5 oz)
- 1 can cream corn (14.25-15.5 oz)
- 12 oz pkg crawfish tails (thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup half & half or heavy cream
- Optional: 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, additional cooked bacon bits
- Garnish: Parsley, Diced Green Onions,
- In a soup or stock pot over medium heat, add bacon and cook until fat renders but not crispy. Remove half of bacon fat and add butter in pot.
- Add onion, celery & potatoes to pot and cook until veggies are soft.
- Add broth, corn & seasoning to pot and simmer 20 minutes. (some water can be added if soup is too thick after simmering)
- Add crawfish and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Slightly warm half & half or cream, then stir into pot.
- Heat below simmering for a few minutes. Adjust seasoning and liquid for desired taste and thickness*.
- Garnish with Parsley or Green onions to serve. If desired, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or additional bacon bits can be added to pot or served on the side. Hot sauce can also be added.
*Note: A trick to thicken soup: stir in small amount of instant mashed potatoes