Mexican Shepherd’s Pie
By Terrie Lewis(2) | October 07, 2021
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
- ½ C diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 oz taco seasoning packet
- ½ C chicken broth or water
- 2 cups or 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 12 oz pkg of frozen corn, thawed
- ½ C salsa
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese blend
- 2 C mashed potatoes prepared
- 2 T chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in large, oven safe skillet over medium/high heat. Add onions, garlic and turkey and cook until turkey is browned.
- Once meat is all browned, add taco seasoning and broth (water) and stir to blend. Cook about 3-4 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in corn, beans and salsa. Spread it out so there is an even layer. Turn off heat. Sprinkle ¾ cup shredded cheese on top of meat mixture.
- Spread prepared mashed potatoes over the cheese layer and top that with remaining ¼ C cheese.
- Bake 350 for 25 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro.