Texas-Style Beef Brisket
By Terrie Lewis | January 15, 2023
PREP 10 mins, OTHER TIME 2 hrs 30 mins
COOK TIME 10 hrs
- 1 Beef whole brisket, untrimmed (10-12 pounds)
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- While brisket is cold, trim excess fat, leaving about 1/4-inch fat cover. Give special attention to removing hard fat on the side, the underside and the area between point and flat.
- Season brisket evenly with salt and pepper.
- Set up smoker to 225°F. (use hickory and/or apple wood). Cook 6 to 8 hours to achieve 165-170°F internal temperature.
- Wrap brisket with foil or barbecue paper. Continue cooking in smoker or in oven set to 225°F, until brisket reaches 195°F internal temperature.
- Remove from smoker or oven, open foil slightly to allow steam to vent. Rest for at least 2 hours in a portable cooler or on the counter.
- To serve, separate the flat muscle from the point with a horizontal cut between the two. Slice thinly against the grain to serve.