Prep time: 15 min – Total Time: 2 hr 20 min
Makes 16 servings
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 9×5- or 8×4-inch loaf pan with shortening or cooking spray. In large bowl, beat sugar and butter with spoon until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in bananas, milk and vanilla until well blended.
- In small bowl, mix flour, nuts, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.
Note: To ripen bananas quickly, place them in a brown paper bag at room temperature for 1 to 2 days. When the loaf is fully baked, the top should crack—that’s a hallmark of moist-crumbed quick bread