The Best Mashed Potatoes
By Terrie Lewis(2) | November 19, 2020
- 4 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional)
Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 20 Minutes
- Put the potatoes into a large pot, add the bay leaf, 2 tablespoons salt, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and remove the bay leaf. Meanwhile, heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan.
- Put the potatoes through a ricer or food mill, or you can use a potato masher.
- Add the hot cream to the bowl of potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mix together with a spoon and add the chives (optional).