By Terrie Lewis(2) | December 24, 2020
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the casserole dish
- 1 pound macaroni
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 pound yellow Cheddar, grated (about 4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender, about 7 minutes; strain well. Transfer the macaroni to a large bowl, add the butter and toss to coat.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and 2 teaspoons salt in a medium bowl. Add the mixture to the macaroni; add the Cheddar and stir until well mixed. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake until the custard is set and the top is browned and bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes.