Total Time 25 minutes
Serves 6 (2 flautas each)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 cups cooked, shredded beef roast, such as Chuck
- 1 can Red Gold Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 cup Mexican cheese or Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- garlic salt
- 12 flour tortillas 5-6 inch rounds
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce for serving
- Various Toppings
- Pour oil into a large pan/pot. Cover the bottom with 2 inches of oil. Heat oil in a until it reaches 375°F. Use a deep fry thermometer to test.
- In a medium bowl combine the shredded beef, tomatoes & green chilies, cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
- Working with 4 tortillas at a time, spread a heaping spoonful along the middle of each tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly around the filling and secure with a toothpick.
- Using tongs, hold each flauta in hot oil until firm, then release to continue cooking. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes, then remove to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately season with salt
- Keep flautas warm in the oven on a baking tray while assembling and cooking the fautas. Serve with your favorite toppings and sides.
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Pico de Gallo
- Avocado Cream Sauce
- Salsa Verde
- Sour cream
- Chopped tomatoes