40 min Prep, 2 hrs 05 min Total Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, cut into chunks
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon Land O Lakes® Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup thick caramel ice cream topping
- 6 medium (6 cups) tart cooking apples, peeled, sliced 1/4-inch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine 2 cups flour and salt in bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water with fork just until flour is moistened. Divide dough in half; shape each half into ball. Flatten slightly. Wrap 1 ball of dough in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Trim crust to 1/2 inch from edge of pan; set aside.
- Lightly toss together ice cream topping, apples and lemon juice in bowl. Add 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss lightly. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Roll out remaining ball of dough into 11-inch circle. Cut out 10 (1/2-inch) strips with sharp knife or pastry wheel. Place 5 strips, 1 inch apart, across filling in pie pan. Weave remaining 5 strips at right angles to strips already in place. Trim ends. Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over strips; build up an edge. Crimp or flute edge. Brush strips with 1 tablespoon melted butter; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip aluminum foil.
- Bake 35 minutes. Remove aluminum foil. Continue baking 20-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Cool pie 30-45 minutes. Serve warm.