Chayote Squash Casserole
By Terrie Lewis | February 12, 2021
Total Time: 1 1/2 to 2 hrs
- 4 Chayote Squash (Mirlitons)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup soft Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound shrimp (or ground meat or ham), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/8 cup buttered bread crumb
- Simmer Chayote in salted water until tender, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove, drain, and reserve about 1 cup of the water.
- Cut the Chayote in half. Remove the seeds and carefully spoon out the pulp.
- Chop the pulp and add bread crumbs. Sauté onions, garlic, and shrimp or meat of your choice in butter over medium heat until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. (add a little of the reserved water if too dry) Cool a little and add parsley and thyme and mix thoroughly.
- Fill casserole dish with pulp mixture and sprinkle the top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
NOTE: 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese can be sprinkled on top with the buttered breadcrumbs.