Time: 1hr 35 min
- 5 cups water
- 6 oz can of Tomato paste
- 1/2 oz baking chocolate (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or less, depending on your desired heat level
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 lb lean ground beef
- Add the water to a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add the tomato paste and chocolate and heat over medium heat stirring to combine for about 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, allspice, cloves, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, sugar and vinegar.
- Next, crumble the raw ground beef into the pot with your fingers, then use a potato masher, whisk or fork to break up the meat into very fine pieces.
- Turn heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to med-low.
- Cook, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, at a low boil.. stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened.
Options for serving:
What makes a 2-way plate of chili different than a 5-way?
2-Way: Chili served over spaghetti.
3-Way: Chili served over spaghetti with finely shredded cheddar cheese.
4-Way: Chili served over spaghetti with diced onions and finely shredded cheddar cheese.
5-Way: Chili served over spaghetti with warmed canned red kidney beans, diced onions, and finely shredded cheddar cheese.