1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour twelve 4-inch fluted tube pans.
2. Beat butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until creamy. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended. Stir in coconut and pecans.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
5. Prepare VANILLA FROSTING and toasted or tinted coconut.
6. Frost cake tops with vanilla frosting; sprinkle frosting with toasted or tinted coconut. Fill “nest” with 3 candy pieces that are the same color. 12 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
**To toast coconut: Heat oven to 350°F. Spread coconut in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool.
**To tint coconut: Combine 1/2 teaspoon water and few drops of food color in small bowl or small jar with cover or re-sealable plastic food storage bag. Add 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes. Toss with fork or shake closed jar or plastic bag until coconut is evenly coated; store in airtight container.
If you can't find an item you're searching for, let us know! We're always looking for ways to improve your Food Town experience, and we'll do our best to make that product available. Make a suggestion
30 Houston-Area Locations