Broccoli Cheese Soup
By Terrie Lewis | January 17, 2022
Prep 10 min, Cook 15 min
- 6 Tbsp butter, cut into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups low-fat milk, then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli florets (packed), from about 2 heads
- 10 oz (2 1/2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in pot over medium-high heat. Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently until nearly soft, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- While whisking, slowly pour in milk then chicken broth. Stir in broccoli.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Then reduce heat to low and allow to cook, stirring very frequently, until broccoli is tender, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in heavy cream then stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese, mixing until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with more cheddar if desired.