Cheesy Calabacitas con Elote (Zucchini and Corn Soup)
By Terrie Lewis(2) | January 14, 2020
- 3-4 medium zucchinis (or 2 large zucchinis)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 diced onion
- 1 diced garlic clove
- 1 diced Roma tomato
- 15.25 oz whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup milk (regular milk or unsweetened, original almond milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1 cup shredded white cheese (see notes)
- Bring about 6 cups of salted water to a boil in a medium to large pot.
- While the water comes to a boil, take the zucchinis and cut them into 1/2 inch triangle pieces.
- Add the zucchini triangles to the boiling water. Parboil the zucchini for 3-4 minutes so the pieces are slightly softened but still crisp and not cooked through.
- Remove the zucchini from the heat and drain the water. Set zucchini aside.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil on medium. Add the diced onion and diced garlic clove. Sauté until fragrant. Add the diced Roma tomato and sauté for another minute.
- Mix in the can of whole kernel corn, milk (unsweetened original almond milk or regular milk), 1/2 cup of chicken broth, and season with salt to taste.
- Add the zucchini back in and mix together. Bring to a boil, then let is simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt as needed. If the soup is too thick, add another 1/4-1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Add one cup of shredded white cheese and turn off the heat. Allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve in a bowl for lunch, as a side dish, or as a first course before your main entree